Bankrupt means that you lack something. To be emotionally bankrupt means that you have given out to others and need to be refilled back up, or it can refer to going through multiple stressful events and you feel emotionally exhausted. Either situation, you are emotionally bankrupt. Is it wise to continue the pace you are going if you are depleted? No, it is not. It is time to pull back from what is causing this deficit in your life, or if you are surrounded by continual stressors in your life; you still need to find some time to get alone with yourself and God.
If you are empty inside you cannot truly help others, and you could possible hurt yourself or the one you are trying to help. Sometimes, we have to let God pour into our “empty cups,” again. If you are in ministry, have dysfunctional, unhealthy family, or are in a helping profession, there will be times you will need refreshing and time alone with God. It is not only okay to do so, but healthy emotionally, physically, and spiritually. There must be balance in your life to maintain health. If you are pouring out to others all the time, and never take time to get filled back up; all of your energy will be consumed. If you are not hearing from the Lord, you could possibly be operating in your flesh and not the Spirit of God.
What are some signs of being emotionally bankrupt?
1. Exhaustion, tired more than you feel rested.
2. Irritable, easily frustrated or provoked.
3. Easily offended.
4. Discouraged and possibly depressed.
5. Anxious and worried.
7. Feel physically worn-down, and weakened immune system.
8. Cannot settle down, mind is racing constantly.
9. Difficulty sleeping at night or wanting to sleep more.
10. Lack of peace and joy.
11. Not interested in activities with others. May even isolate.
What can you do if you are emotionally bankrupt?
1. Rest when needed.
2. Refresh with time alone with God.
3. Read from the book of Psalms in the Bible when you need to recharge.
4. Refocus on the things of God, not the circumstances.
5. Re-examine the things in your life that are causing constant stress.
6. Reach out to someone you can trust and allow them to pray for you.
7. Reconsider cutting down or back the things that are unhealthy in your life.
8. Renew your mind. Take every thought captive. Don’t allow your mind to be used as a garbage dump by the enemy during stressful times.
9. Rejuvenate by taking warm baths to relax tired muscles.
10. Relax and do something just for you; have fun.
11. Recharge your body by eating healthy when we you can, staying away from foods that will deplete your energy, drinking green tea (has lots of antioxidants), walking, and taking a multi-vitamin.
There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Hebrews 4:9-10
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Stephanie Reck, LMSW, LBT,BCCC. Christian counselor, author, speaker, and teacher. Stephanie has a passion to bring hope and encouragement and to see people made whole.
Contact Stephanie @ HopeandEncouragement4Women@gmail.com
Copyright@2016, Hope Ministry. All Rights Reserved.
Bankrupt means that you lack something. To be emotionally bankrupt means that you have given out to others and need to be refilled back up, or it can refer to going through multiple stressful events and you feel emotionally exhausted. (more…)